Recommended Syllabus Language for Honorlock Exams
If you are an instructor who has elected to use Honorlock as a deterrent to academic dishonesty, we recommend you dedicate a section in your syllabus to Honorlock. Please find suggested text below. If pasting this into a Word document, we recommend selecting the "Merge Formatting" option afterwards--see Microsoft's copy/paste tutorial for instructions.
ONLINE PROCTORING THROUGH HONORLOCK
Please pay close attention to information in this Canvas course site regarding examination dates and student responsibilities.
Your exams will be proctored online through Honorlock this semester. Honorlock is an online proctoring service that allows you to take your exam from the comfort of your home. You do not need to create an account, download a software application, pay a fee, or schedule an appointment in advance. All that is needed is a computer, a working webcam, a microphone, and a stable internet connection. (Most laptops come with a built-in webcam and microphone.)
- To get started, you may need to install Google Chrome and then download the Honorlock Chrome Extension. You should also review the information provided in FSU's Honorlock Resources for Students guide. It's very important to check your system compatibility and internet connection speed in advance as explained in the guide.
- When you are ready to take your test, you should log into Canvas, go to your course, and click on your exam. Click “Launch Proctoring” to begin the Honorlock authentication process where you will take a picture of yourself, show your ID with a clear photo, and perform a complete scan of your room. Be sure to carefully follow all instructions provided.
- The new student toolbar provides easy access to exam aids and Honorlock support. This new toolbar accessible at the bottom of the exam window will allow you access to a calculator (if allowed by your instructor), exam guidelines, allowed websites and, Honorlock's chat support, among other tools. You can find additional information in the Honorlock student toolbar overview article.
- Honorlock records your computer screen and webcam and intelligently flags any suspicious activity for my review. If my review confirms that the flagged activity is a violation of FSU's Academic Honor Policy or Student Conduct Code, it may be escalated to Academic and/or Student Affairs for further action.
- The Honorlock Chrome Extension may be uninstalled after taking any of your exams, but please note that it will remain inactive when an Honorlock-enabled exam is not in use. For more information or for other security or privacy concerns, please visit FSU's Honorlock Security and Privacy FAQ page.
- Honorlock Support is available 24/7. If you encounter any issues, I urge you to contact them by chat within the Honorlock session. If you encounter issues with Canvas, visit ODL Technical Support or email email@example.com.
- Need a testing accommodation due to a disability? Please be sure to inform me well in advance of your need for accommodation. Please read Testing Accommodations for Students with Disabilities for further guidance.
If you are unable to use Honorlock to complete your exams, please contact me within the first 2 weeks of the semester.